This sorbet is the perfect way to enjoy the Queen Garnet after the fresh fruit season is over. Incredibly rich, all you need is a spoonful to add depth to your favourite desserts.
What you’ll need:
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 800g plums (rinse and pat dry)
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar for roasting plums
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar for sugar syrup
- 3/4 cup cold water
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Halve all plums, keeping pits intact.
- Line a rimmed roasting pan with baking paper and place the plums in the pan facing up.
- Evenly coat the plums with the 1.5 tbsp granulated sugar.
- Place the vanilla stick and vanilla bean between the plums.
- Leave in the oven for ~35 minutes. The plums should be tender and juicy.
- Cool plums to room temperature.
- Remove the pits, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean from the plums.
- Place plums in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Filter puree through a sieve.
- In a small saucepan, add the cold water and 3/4 cup granulated sugar.
- Bring to boil and then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add sugar syrup to plum puree.
- Freeze mixture in shallow container, whisking every couple of hours to breakdown the ice crystals (you may need to whisk more frequently than this depending on the temperature in your freezer). You may need to transfer the product to a food processor when the sorbet is completely frozen to make it smoother. Transfer to container and leave overnight until firm.